HISTORIC RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER PLANTATION. In 1785, John Pratt came to Caroline County from King George County and purchased 661 acres of land. He named his plantation Camden, after Charles Pratt, Earl of Camden who was a supporter of the American Colonists and opposed the British government’s colonial policy of taxation without representation. Additional land acquisitions have taken place over the years to bring the total acreage to +/- 1383. Construction on the present house was completed in 1859. Designed by noted architect Norris Starkweather, of Philadelphia, Camden Farm is a National Historic Landmark (this designation is honorary; no restrictions over the property). Main residence of 6 bedrooms,, 3 bedroom guest house and a detached 3 bay garage. The major change the house has suffered is the loss of its tower, which was destroyed when fired upon by Union gun boats during the Civil War. Crop lands, wetlands, creek frontage & deep water access provide excellent hunting & fishing for deer, turkey, ducks, geese, doves, bass & bream. Main house on 26 acres, $2,950,000.
Courtesy of The Steele Group
MLS® ID: 1722926, Active
7 Beds, 2+ Baths, 6,966 Sqft., $8,950,000